Thursday, January 17, 2008

Hell Doom Destruction!

Today I got about 6 medical bills in the mail.
ALL of them were supposed to have been paid already by my insurance.

One in particular sent me a very terse letter, explaining how irresponsible and incompetent they feel I am. ACTUALLY Hospital for Special Surgery, it's your fucking billing department that is irresponsible and incompetent, because when you originally billed it, you billed it to the WRONG INSURANCE COMPANY and when I explained this problem to you and gave you all the information for the correct company - over the phone and through fax - you then refused to bill the correct company because it had gone past the filing period, and you expected me to pay it. I explained to you that in the state where the incident occured AND the state where my insurance company practices from, there IS NO FILING PERIOD, not to mention it was your fucking mistake in the first place and it is your responsibility to file it to the correct agency! We had this discussion WEEKS AGO and now I get a letter that you sent literally on Christmas Eve, telling me you're going to send the bill (which of course, still hasn't been paid because IT WAS NEVER FILED TO THE INSURANCE AGENCY) to a collection agency and you're going to ruin my credit!

Oh my god.

So then I figured I would go ahead and check my credit, just to see if there has been any movement due to all these royally fucked up medical bills. These has seriously happened a half-dozen times. And I figure I'll just go ahead and check my credit, because checking your credit is supposed to be so easy and free online! Hooray!

So I go to check my credit, I give them all of my personal information, I answer a million questions about what my favorite food is and what color my first car was etc, and then they tell me they don't have enough information to confirm my identity. That I have to call customer service.
So I call customer service in India or wherever, and they ask me another round of personal questions, including the first 8 digits on all of my credit cards. Then customer service tells me THEY don't have enough information to confirm my identity, and I have to send them a copy of my drivers license or passport, my social security card, and some sort of billing statement such as a phone bill or credit card payment!

WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK!!!

Well anyway, that means there must not be much on my credit report in the first place, or they would just ask me questions about all of that crap. So anyway. I just can't believe this, NO WONDER no one has any idea what's going on with their financial records in this country! No one in any of these bureaucratic agencies knows anything, nor do they do anything correctly ! Ever! And somehow, its still always your fault and you're expected to pay hundreds of dollars for their mistakes!!

Oh man.

I am veering dangerously close to becomes an expat and moving to fucking Timbuktu.

2 comments:

i am madame said...

a) the exact same thing is happening to me because of head-injury related trauma from back in APRIL/MAY.
b) fuck insurance & fuck the american system of "health care" (i.e. keep you alive long enough to rape you of money enough that you essentially want to kill yourself)
c) i won/t be in france past july, so if you come, come before then (june/early july)
d) letter "c" is because i am going to ride my bicycle across the united states in order to return home
e) this means i will be flying into new york. will you be there?/can i crash with you?/do you want to meet my beautiful french lover?
f) i miss you. immensely.

gros gros bisous ma belle,
moi

eleKtrofly said...

i also dealt with this--
more than once--

have you seen sicko?

it makes cuba look really appealing.